What Are My Rights As An Unmarried Father?

Navigating the legal system for child custody as an unmarried father can be challenging. Several factors need to be considered when evaluating rights and responsibilities for fathers and families. It’s important to know which documents and regulations apply for your situation and location of residence.  Every situation is unique and our experienced team of experts can help you create a customized plan to fit your needs.

a child holding his father's hand

First, we need to look and see whether or not you are listed on the birth certificate. If you are not, you can also obtain a court order that requires your name to be added to the child’s birth certificate. Second,if you are not married, you can file an allocation for parental responsibilities to establish parenting time and decision making with your child. This action is filed in the county where you reside.  and As part of that action, we will come up with a parenting plan and a child support order that works for your unique situation.

If you are not married, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have rights. Additionally, being  a dad doesn’t mean you don’t have rights either. Fathers have equal rights in Colorado regarding parenting time as long as it is in the child’s best interests.

If you have questions or you’re concerned about your unique situation, please give me a call. Or, come in and see me and we’ll discuss what we can do to establish your rights as a dad.

Feel free to give me a call at 303.502.5006 and we can talk your child custody rights as an unmarried father in Colorado.