What Are Typical Remedies When A Parent Stops Paying Child Support?

The most common remedy when a parent stops paying is a contempt proceeding. A contempt proceeding is initiated by filling a affidavit and a petition for a citation in contempt with the court. In this pleading you set forth why the court should issue a contempt citation. The court will review your paperwork and if the court agrees with you and your arguments, the court will issue a citation for the other party to appear and show cause why he or she should not be held in contempt of court.

Watch as Jennifer explains more below regarding common remedies in the video below:

If you need help with a family law question or other child custody matters in Denver, contact us today at (303) 329-3802.